While I am a Virtualization advocate, & I believe you can virtualize almost every application out there. Yeah note the bold almost in there, as there still some applications or hosts you might want to take further consideration before virtualizing them. Why this topic now? I am currently working with a customer on a P2V engagement plan, where the customer wanted to identify their top virtualization candidates, where I have pulled this list to help them eliminate bad candidates to start with.
Below is a good check list that I frequently use when I want to check if a an application/host is a good candidate for moving to a virtual environment as a fresh install or even P2V conversion. I thought I will share in case others are curious if their particular app or host is a good candidate or what they should be checking for:
- Does the physical machine use serial ports? (Work around available)
- Does the physical machine use parallel ports? (Work around available)
- Does the physical machine use USB devices? (Work around available)
- Does your system require any physical hardware dongle?
- Does your host use any special hardware devices like a special telecommunication pci card that cannot be virtualized?… Read More