After I have helped one of my customers deploy VMware vSphere Data Protection Advanced to replace their old VMware Data Recovery, and helped them schedule their environment for backup, we came back the next day to find out that few VMs have failed with the following error: “VDP: operation failed due to existing snapshot”.
As most of our VMs backed up successfully we were pretty sure it is not the VDP software, and that the problem is related to these specific VMs. It end up just like the error is indicating these VMs have Snapshots that have not properly been removed and needed to be cleaned up before VDP can backup these VMs. Below is the action we have taken to fix this problem:
- Check the Snapshot Manager for VMs that failed to backup.
- If Snapshot Manager showing any snapshots delete them, then proceed to step 4.
- If Snapshot Manager not showing any snapshots, just proceed to step 4.
- After deleting all snapshots showing in snap manager, create a new snapshot.
- Hit Delete All in Snapshot Manager after the new snapshot have been completed.
The above procedure in most cases should clean up your VM from none consistent dirty snapshots, and you should be able to backup these VMs after that using VMware VDP.… Read More