While working with VMware vCenter Server Appliance 5.5, I needed to change the IP Address of the appliance as my customer were changing their IP scheme. It was quite to go to the VMware vCSA then to the network tab then Address tab and change the IP Address. After rebooting the appliance to ensure the IP change has taken affect and is working properly and consistent, I was able to login to the vCenter Server Appliance Management portal, but I was not able to connect to using the Web Client and was kept getting the following error:
“Failed to connect to VMware Lookup Service https://<vCenter Appliance IP>/lookupservice/sdk – SSL certificate verification failed”
Or as shown in the below screenshot:
It seems changing the IP Address of the vCenter Server Appliance does not regenerate the certificate with the new IP and you will have to configure the appliance to generate a new one manually. The good news it is pretty easy to do, and below is the instruction:
- Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance Web interface at https://<vCSA IP>:5480/.
- Click the Admin tab.
- Regenerate certificates:
- vCenter Server 5.1: Select Toggle certificate setting so that the Certificate regeneration enabled displays Yes.
- vCenter Server 5.5: Select Yes under Certificate regeneration enabled.
- Reboot the vCenter Server Appliance.
- After the vCenter Server Appliance reboots, confirm that the Certificate regeneration enabled option is set to disabled.
- Now you should be able to login again to the web client without any problem.
Hope this help!